Sunday 25 January 2015

Quick brunch @ Three Bags Full, Melbourne

For brunch with a friend I headed to Three Bags Full in Abbotsford. I'd heard amazing things about their coffee (and that they did an interesting breakfast) so I wanted to check it out.

The coffee lived up to expectations, I ordered two long blacks (the house blend and a Colombian single origin). Both were excellent. Well roasted, well expressed, perfect crema and you could taste the freshness of the beans in both cups. My friend had a soy flat white which she was very pleased with.


For breakfast I had the "Eggs from Hell" (two poached eggs on fried polenta cakes doused in a spicy tomato and capsicum sauce with slices of hot chorizo and fior di latte). It was nice, but didn't quite match up to the quality of the coffee. The sauce was tasty and the chorizo really added something special. The eggs were also very fresh and nicely poached. However the polenta cake was soggy and flavourless. It could have (and should have) been a nice slice of sourdough or wholegrain. It really took the whole dish down. Also, where was the fior di latte? I guess it could have been in the sauce but I didn't notice any and I really missed what a little fresh milkiness would have done to cut through the fire of the sauce.

My friend had already eaten and settled on a pistachio tea cake. She said it was alright, but I've had the exact same cake at The Bond Store on Southbank (it must be commercially sourced) and I wasn't impressed.

All in all, go to Three Bags Full for the great coffee and expect a reasonable but not amazing breakfast to go with it.

 Three Bags Full on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment